Goa score five past hapless Jamshedpur

In a match marred by drama, FC Goa progressed to the semi-finals of the Hero Super Cup with a 5-1 victory over Jamshedpur FC at the Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar on Thursday. Brandon Fernandes opened the scoring for the Gaurs in the first half, following which six red cards shown to three players from each club changed the entire structure of the game. In the second period, Ferran Corominas, Hugo Boumous and Manvir Singh added their name to the scoresheet, whereas Ashim Biswas grabbed a late consolation for Jamshedpur.

The game started with both sides creating a host of chances within the first 10 minutes. Goa had most of the possession and created their first real chance in the 4th minute when Pronay Halder’s lofted ball found Edu Bedia, who was unable to direct his header on target. At the other end, Kervens Belfort almost broke the deadlock for Jamshedpur in the 11th minute, but his delicate chip was expertly saved by Goa custodian Laxmikant Kattimani.

Goa continued to pile on the pressure and were rightly rewarded for their efforts in the 34th minute. The impressive duo of Fernandes and Boumous combined perfectly, with the former expertly finishing past the onrushing Jamshedpur custodian Subrata Paul. Ten minutes later, Goa thought that they had doubled their lead when Fernandes close-range shot hit the roof of the net, but the referee after consultation with the linesman disallowed it as the ball had crossed the sideline prior to the goal. On that note, the half ended 1-0 in Goa’s favour. 

However, the second half started on a rather unusual note as six players were red carded for showing dissent in the tunnel after the end of the first period. While Paul, Belfort and Anas Edathodika were sent off from Jamshedpur’s end, Fernandes, Sergio Juste and Bruno Pinheiro were given the marching orders from Goa’s side. With eight players each on the field, the club managements had to ensure revised strategies were implemented fast.

Halfway through the half, Goa doubled their lead when Corominas was brought down inside the box by Memo and a penalty was awarded to them. The Spaniard stepped up to take the spot-kick and calmly converted. The Gaurs again added a third in the 77th minute, when substitute Manvir Singh got on the end of a good cross from Seriton Fernandes and tapped the ball home.

With a little more than 10 minutes to go, the influential Boumous inflicted further damage on the wounded Jamshedpur defence, as he struck twice within minutes. He picked up the ball near the halfway line, drove through the defence and finished with a stinging left-footed drive for his first of the night, while his second came from Bedia’s wonderful low cross across the face of goal which he just had to tap in.

With Goa wrecking through Jamshedpur’s famed defence, the latter finally managed to score one in injury-time, when Biswas finished neatly after picking the ball inside the penalty box. With that last piece of action, 90 minutes of football laden with drama and controversy ended and Goa booked a semi-final berth, while Jamshedpur bowed out of the competition.

Your Comments

Related Stories